With an emphasis on blended and personalized learning, Mr. Darden has achieved success with high school and adult students striving to achieve a diploma or pass the Reading and Writing sections of the GED, as well as those seeking passing scores on the Test of Adult Basic Education, CASAS, Accuplacer, and NWEA Measures of Academic Progress.
In addition to the teaching reading and writing, Mr. Darden has designed interdisciplinary courses in Humor, Poetry, The American Musical, Greek Mythology, and Egyptian Mythology. His crowning achievements are the David Bowie Syllabus and the Nat Turner Syllabus, teaching and learning resources for students and educators that he personally curated through research and crowd-sourcing.
While working for the National Campaign to Stop Violence, he created the ABC’s of Bullying Prevention, an initiative implemented by the Harlem Globetrotters.
He is a member of the National Council of Teachers of English.
Rashid is an active member of several community and civic organizations, including Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, and he has volunteered with the Georgetown Scholarship Program, DC Recovery Community Alliance, Ronald McDonald House, and Words Beats & Life, from which he received the Guardian Angel Award in 2009.
Rashid received the Luminary Award from the Thursday Network of the Greater Washington Urban League in 2018, an award bestowed on a young professional that exemplifies the National Urban League creed of Empowering Communities and Changing Lives.
Rashid Darden is also a published author.
- 2018: Luminary Award, Thursday Network Spirit of Service Awards
- 2017: Winner, OutWrite DC and Theatre Prometheus One Page Play Competition
- 2015: Distinguished Service Key, Mu Alpha Alumni Association, Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity
- 2013: Greek Man of the Year, The Greek Tweak
- 2011: Advisor of the Year, Section 85, Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity
- 2009: Guardian Angel Award, Words Beats + Life
- 2009: Distinguished Service Key, Section 85, Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity
- 2007: Alumni Visions of Excellence Award, Black Student Alliance, Georgetown University
- 2006: Excellence in Literature Award, CLIK Magazine
- 2003: Ellsworth S. Dobson Certificate of Merit, Region III, Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity
- 2003: Neophyte of the Year, Mu Lambda Chapter, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
- 2001: Visions of Excellence Award, Black Student Alliance, Georgetown University